Dear, well, me,
I know you’re staring down this journey and thinking you’re going to fail. Again. I know you’re thinking, “What’s going to be different this time?” You know what’s different? YOU ARE.
Up to this point, you’ve been practicing for today. You know your shit now; there’s no guessing about what to do. You know what works. You know HOW to get it done. Let’s turn that how into action.
I understand how proud you are of all the things you’ve accomplished socially while being heavy: Sexy boyfriends, you always make friends, three great kids… and yes, it’s nice to be more advanced socially than her* but she’s starting to catch up – I mean, she’s getting married for the second time and you haven’t even been married once (not that I want to judge personal growth on whether or not I’m married – it’s the idea that someone other than my family loves me wholly and completely, and demonstrates that publicly).
And you’re ‘fuck you’ attitude has really hurt your motivation.
Here’s where we are currently:
- You sleep on your side because your weight is causing shortness of breath.
- You’re always feeling warm because you’re now thickly insulated.
- You call your kids over to hand something or get something for you.
- You feel exhausted all the time causing a craving for sugar and to eat crap.
- You use food as a way to distract you from doing something you need to do but you don’t want to. I.E. Working out.
- You are the heaviest you have ever been. Ever. And that includes the weight of your ego.
It’s time for a serious change.
You’re on this journey to give yourself the very best gift you can: HEALTH. You can’t care for the kids while stuck in bed sick; and how long are you going to tolerate the knee pain, back pain, or the embarrassment. Or the pain of not fitting into your maternity clothes.
New Years Eve is 11 weeks away. That’s enough time to make serious changes for the better. Having better health adds to every one of our personal goals:
- WE ARE ROCKABILLY – and vintage physiques are hourglass shape
- WE ARE A GREAT WEDDING PLANNER – health exudes confidence and clients like a good looking planner
- WE ARE AN ARTIST – being healthy makes it easier to hike with our art stuff
- WE ARE BEAUTIFUL – our exterior will finally match what our mental image of our-self is
- WE LIVE ALOHA – health releases endorphins helping control our depression
And there’s one more: WE ARE COMMITTED. You will do what it takes because this time you are completely ready and enthusiastic. You have a map for issues that come up (like running out of food money) and we will continue to adjust the plan as the obstacles come out.
One more thing: find an online or in-person support group. Since there is no one really in your life to help support you, seek out help through other people.
I love us, Laura. It’s time for us to treat ourselves with love and respect.
PS. We’re going to chat again in a month to see how things are moving. Don’t waste the time you have.
– * About the ‘she’ comment earlier: I have serious issues regarding my sister and our relationship. Not to go into too many details, but home-girl is the Devil. She told me about a month ago, “You can’t be a stay at home mom, barely clean the house, and look like shit. You’ll never keep a man that way.” That’s when the ‘Fuck You’ part of me comes bouncing on out. Fuck her, fuck that, fuck IT. Anyway, I’m trying to get away from her being a motivator on my journey, but I can’t help but think that it will crush her for me to get to where I’m going… she’s super vain like that.
Thank you so much for reading my blog! It’s your support that keeps me chasing my passions and writing about it. With your contributions, you’re not only helping me pursue my true self, but 25% of the funds raised are donated to the SurfRider Foundation. It’s the small contributions that will also help fund the next trip to Hawaii as to to start connecting to our future there. Also, if you can, please give me a follow on Twitter or Instagram. Thank you all again so very much!